Sunday, January 17, 2010

Churn Dash block. Check.

For me, one of the key motivations for joining a bee is to try new things without necessarily committing to a whole quilt.   The Churn Dash block is a block I haven't yet pieced so I now can cross that one off my list.   Here's the blocks created today for Heidi.






Along with a new block, I also pieced with black fabric for the first time as well as pieced with fabrics that were weighted differently.   A few learnings for me:   1.  Black isn't forgiving.   Any speck of lint or dust or thread is evident.  It's distracting for me and maybe a sign that I just can't seem to relax and let it be.   I think black and I will just agree that we're not suited for each other.   2.   You need to reduce the seam allowance to account for heavier fabrics if they're the fabric doing all the bending (ie, seam allowance is pressed in their direction).   I noticed a different result in terms of the size of the block depending on which way I pressed the seam allowance.    It made me realize that I tend to do a lot of "liberated" or "wonky" quilting so I don't need to worry about 2 + 2 = 3.5.   If it's too small, add on.  If it's too big, cut off.    So just like black and I have reached an agreement, so have precision piecing and I.

Thanks Heidi for the opportunity to break out and try something new.   Looking forward to seeing these blocks in a quilt.

February---bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment